2013-08-13

Got to test a pattern!

I've been wanting to test patterns for a while. And now that I have, I realised I love testing more than I had imagined. It's such a fun way to learn, and the rush of having it done by the deadline is what I really need to keep me busy. Like my V. says, I always work better under pressure... or almost always. 


So, I got to test Mama RaeAnna's latest pattern... The Bumblebee Dress, which you'll have to admit is a.w.e.s.o.m.e. and will be available to purchase soon. I tested "view b" (there is "view a" as well) size 2T and no doubt this was the better fitting sizing-age appropriate pattern I have tried for my little girl. 

On to the dress... since it was a test dress, and I wasn't really sure how I'd work with a test pattern (first time remember?!), I didn't want to use one of my most loved fabrics. Instead I went for pink. I don't usually like pink, actually I usually avoid pink unless I am asked to. I don't even know where on earth my mind was when I bought the heart themed fabric - actually I know, I was a new mommie, my hormones were crazy and the hearts pattern was cute... not to mention I bought a good quantity very cheap. I've been thinking I could dye the rest... Anyway, the problem with this fabric is that it is heavy, and to make it even harder for meI decided to pair it with a fuscia pink that I had left from a knock off dress I was ordered last year, which is very light.

All this plus, little rest and August weather tiredness, made me take a lot longer than expected to do the dress. I kept making mistakes. Believe me, this pattern isn't complicated to follow, the instructions were clear (and they got even better after I had mine), but still I kept making really stupid beginner's mistakes. Of course, I would get so mad at myself to have to unpick and redo a lot of the steps. There are days like this.


On the other hand, this was the perfect excuse for me to sew... I have been much uninspired lately. I did sew a pair of Harem pants for my little niece but pictures must be takin still. 

I didn't change a thing about the pattern as I thought since it is a test, I should follow isntructions as it is. Turns out I can do so much out of this pattern, there are so many variables possible. You can even make it reversible - use front as back and back as front. I'm just pretty sure everyone will love this pattern! I am sure I will make a few more out of this, and will surely try to top stitch the neck ruffle down on my next one. 

Extra: f you want to do a Bumblebee dress with pockets, make sure to visit me later this week... I will have a tutorial for you. 

And by the way, G. loved the feeling of wearing a long dress, she kept dancing all the time. And just because I love it... here's a less thoughtful picture we took of her in it. 


6 comments:

  1. The dress is adorable! I love the pink ruffle you added!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!!! I love that little G loved dancing in it! Enjoy your holiday this weekend! (Or as we say in the states "vacation!") ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I'd love to read it.
Leave your URL too, so I can visit you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

stay connected

Subscribe by Email