It's that time again!
This can always get me so excited! Project Run & Play is back with the weekly challenges to push me harder. The link party for the first week is now open, so it's time for me to show you what I've done too. This week's challenge is a pattern remix, and that is Oliver + S's Popover Sundress Pattern.
|Original Dress from Pattern|
Mmmmm... I wasn't so excited about it when I saw it, I even thought about not joining this week's sewalong, I am trying to do a sustainable kind of sewing, more and more as days go by, and since my little miss doesn't need extra unwanted clothing, I thought I'd rather pass this challenge. BUT then I had a little cousin's birthday coming and a light was turn on in my head. I could sew something out of the Remix Pattern, but what?! Definately not a dress, I thought. I am sick & tired of dresses (honestly! and I don't even sew THAT many).
Here's what I came up with after all:
Yes! A romper. I can't get enough of rompers. To make this I printed the original pattern and slightly adjusted it to what I needed, like cutting it lenght wise to make it a top instead of a dress, and adding about 1" on (new) bottom to make it a little wider. Even though you might get all dizzy from my cows' towel, I guess you can see these changes in my picture below.
To get the romper bottom, I used Feather's Flights Harem Shorts pattern. I had used the pattern here and here before and am sure I will use it some more in the future. I wanted the top to get a bubble look and I think I made it just like I had imagined. I've added an elastic on the waist and pretty much this was all my changes.
I was pretty satisfied with the results. Even though it's all pink! cough-cough For someone who keeps screaming out how much she doesn't like pink, I've been sewing pretty much with that color. But, you know... I have to sew from my stash, and that's a lot of pink in it (exactly: because I always refuse myself to use it!).
Anyway, I'm going off subject (
as usual - ooppppsssss!!!), so, the fabric used was polka dotted left overs from the trolley make-over I made for G. when she was born, for bias ties, shorts and yokes. For the top and cuffs I used knit from a huge pillowcase (so big that it is enough to make myself a whole dress - now that I mention that, maybe if a dye it?)...
Since my little miss is nearly a year younger than our cousin and they are basically the same size I tried it on her and tried to take some nice shoots, but she's been so hard to photograph lately. She just won't stay still for a single second, or if she does it has to be when and where she decides to. Those were the best ones I could get from her. And honestly I didn't even try harder, I'd to almost anything to avoid unwanted tantrums.
I love the final look of my new harem romper, and it was much approved by my 6 year old niece who has requested one just like this one for her own self. She does like pink, she's not like me or my daughter, who's following mom's steps and it's not a big fan of the color. My niece has also requested a dress with the pink hearts fabric I used for my first Bumblebee dress.
now, go check the other remixes out there! I know I've been loving it!