Skip to main content

The Dreaming of Spring Blazer | day 3 of the Sew Along |and a big surprise for sew alongers|

First of all, I have to apologise for taking more than expected to come back with the next steps for the construction of our blazer.

I'm going to start with the big news for everyone who sews along. Don't forget to join the flickr group and share your blazer after it's done. You have until the 30th of November, after that myself and Marta from DoGuincho will pick up our favorite one and the winner will be getting a FREE copy of Marta's first pattern: The Bubble Shorts which I have also sewn and showed here

sew along
day 1 
day 2 

So let's continue...
Today we are going to repeat steps from last day using the lining this time. Sew all pieces together, close shoulders, close sleeves and attach them to body.

Then put your hands on the collar pieces. Make sure one of them is interfaced. Put both pieces right sides together and sew all around but the bottom. Clip corners, turn around and press. Fold in half and and slightly cut it or mark it any other way you want so you know where the center of the piece is. 

Time to attach it to the main fabric piece. Pin it all around the neck line and sew a stitch as close to the edge as possible. 

It's the perfect moment to attach the pockets to the blazer. When I started this pink one I had plans to use the pockets, but then my cats ruined my pocket pieces by throwing on it, so I just skipped them. But here's how to do it. 

They're easy to do when you have the right tools, but it isn't impossible to do it if you don't. Use pattern paper to mark the place where eyelets will go (after interfacing the main fabric pocket pieces) (image 20) and with a puncher (image 21) get holes done. Now, if you don't have one, just pierce with the tip of your scissors. Add the eyelets in the holes (image 22) and press them with its pliers (image 23). Again, if you don't have one, it's not the end of the world. Maybe you can do button holes instead, or just get creative!
Cut your ribbon in 4 even parts. You can slightly burn every edge on a candle light to prevent it from fraying. Insert it in one eyelet and pin at the side (image 24), do the same for the other side. You might want to pin it all in the middle right now because you'll be adding lining soon and this will prevent you from sewing unwanted ribbon in your seams (image 25). Get your pocket lining piece and pin it to the main fabric one, right sides together and sew. Leave a small opening in the bottom so you can turn your piece (image 26).


Turn pockets to the right side. Press it and pin the little opening you've left on the last step (image 27). Pin the pocket to the front of your jacket. You'll notice that the top is wider than the drawing on pattern, that's ok, this will allow you to pucker your pocket when you'll tie your ribbon. View of pockets pinned to the jacket (image 29 - sorry it's a little blurry). Stitch as close to the edge of your pocket as possible. This will close your opening (on pocket) with no other needs (image 30). View of pockets added (image 31).

We're done for today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekly Refashion Share #1 |FREE pattern & tutorial|

If you're looking for the giveaway, please click HERE

A couple of months ago I made these two onesies for my baby boy. You can read more about them by clicking each photo.
They were both refashions from t-shirts, and ever since I made them, I've been wanting to share a tutorial. But not only a tutorial, you can have a FREE pattern, the one I drafted for my own. If you are expecting a baby, or have someone close to you that is, this would make a great gift, so go ahead, grab the PATTERN, print it and let's start sewing. 
Note before you start: - Some pattern pieces need to be taped together. In order to do that, you have to match the number on the pattern and letters A to B. Example: piece 4A to piece 4B. Tape them matching the symbols on both pieces.  - I didn't realise it, but I've added two star pattern pieces, but just one is enough, of course. It is an optional add.  - All seams are 1/4" except for sleeves hem, which are 1" long.  - Just one more t…

Pocket Sling Tutorial

Back in September, I guest posted for Tasha over I Seam Stressed, while she was adjusting to her new life as mom of two. For that post, I've put up a tutorial on how to do your own pocket sling. Today's, I am bringing it home, since all we think about now is Christmas and all the handmade presents we have to make, i think this should be a good idea to gift a new mom or a pregnant relative/friend in your life. Enjoy!

Since my appearence here is due to Tasha's baby boy's birth, I thought I'd come up with something every mom should have. Especially when they are still newborns (even though I used mine until my little one was around one year old, then she just wanted to walk everywhere and we slowly left it aside). I am talking about a baby pocket sling, of course.


I prefer pocket slings over ring slings by far, it gives me a better sense of security, but that might be just me. And today I will share a tutorial on how to do your own.


So, the first thing you have to do is…

The Dreaming of Spring Blazer |FREE PDF Pattern| day 1 of the Sew along

EDITED: You have until the 30th of November to link your blazer to the flickr group to have a chance to win a free pattern for the Bubble Shorts pattern by DoGuincho. Read more about it here.

If you are new to my blog, you might not know that I have promised to share a pattern for the blazer I made my daughter when I competed in the Sew Off. If you were following already back then, well, I am sorry I kept you waiting for so long. If you haven't yet, you might want to check out the blazers my friend testers made. You'll love them, I'm so sure!

It was about time to give something back, since I've been getting so much from this wonderful sewing community, and keep up with my word. After all, I've always heard it's better late than never, right? And it's FREE so: please don't complain.

This pattern will fit a 18 months to 2 year old, but I believe it has space to grow - especially on the sleeves department. I guess it really depends on your child. Mine was…