About a week ago, I have posted about the latest dress pattern I've tested, and have shared the test version of the dress I made. I thought it made a perfect gift for my two nieces. That first one, was meant for the little one and this one I made for the big niece, who's turning 7, next month.
If it wasn't for the stripes you couldn't tell front from back in this dress, and I don't think it looks half as cute without a model on it, so I can't wait to see L. wearing it and check fit and everything. For the first Firecracker I made, I used the same fabric for the entire piece, but this time I played with contrasts.
Last time my niece came to visit, I showed her my fabric stash and allowed her to pick 4 of her favourite fabrics so I had room to play with matching them, or even to mix because of the amount I might or might not have available from her picks. This flower print fabric was her first choice, and all the other 3 were in the same line... meaning, they wouldn't stand out at all if I used them together.
She had no idea what the fabric was for but she played along. I ended up picking this blue linen (from my stash too, of course) to complete the choices for this dress. I had used this combination of fabrics before (in slings I've never blogged about) so I knew for sure, they would work pretty well. Now I just can't wait to meet my niece and give her the new dress. I wonder if she will recognised the fabric she chose and if she'll like it.