Sew Geeky Episode 9 TIM BURTON
Have you hear of Sew Geeky already? An idea brought to live by two super creative and talented ladies: Kat from Sew Chibi and Ari from Max California. If you need to know more about it read it over here. I can't consider myself a geek, but when those ladies allowed us to sew along to Tim Burton's inspired episode, I couldn't resist, because I just L o v e l o v e l o v e Burton's stuff. Besides, I had been wanting to use Sweeney Todd's beach outfits as an inspiration for a long, long time ago. This was just perfect!
And I knew just what to do. Let's start with the girl. Just a little disclaimer first: a couple of months ago I was offered a free pattern of the Peachy Dress & Playsuit from Felicity Sewing Patterns to review. All opinions are my own! That said, the girl's dress then.
|ok, Jack is in the wrong movie here, but he's perfect to host this post, right?! RIGHT?!!!|
Would you like to take a closer look?!
I didn't want to do a dress just like the one in the movie, instead I wanted to get inspired by its colours. I also wanted a fresh dress and so the Peachy Dress & Playsuit pattern was just an obvious choice. This is the perfect dress (or playsuit) for the warmer days, too bad it's freaky cold outside and we couldn't do our own photoshoot in the beach too. Anyway, this pattern comes with six styling options (Basic Dress; Basic Playsuit with long or short pants; Dress, Playsuit or Romper with shoulder frills & elastic neckline; Dress, Playsuit or Romper with neck frill; Pillowcase Dress or Top; & Separate Shorts). Besides, it includes 2 cute pocket options, with a total of 4 tutorials on how to sew all possible combinations, with detailed photos and easy to follow instructions. I had zero problems sewing this up so I think it is a begginers good choice too. I am not a very ruffle person, but I'll admit these frills look just too cute on my little miss. She wasn't so happy about me pulling one of the shoulders down for the photo.
I did the shoulder frills and elastic neckline option for the top, and the patch pockets option for the skirt. The skirt twirls beautifully because it is made out of 4 panels. Besides the elastic on the shoulders, it has a waist elastic too, which makes the top a little puffy and just adorable. I can't tell if I did size 2 or 3 anymore, but I followed the chart and it fits just great. Not to mention this little lady adored her new dress. Even though it was so cold when we did a very quick photoshoot indoors, she didn't want to take it out after all. She covered herself up with a blanket and said it'd be fine like that. The pattern comes sizes 2-14y and I've got the bug, I believe this is one of those patterns I could sew for myself and match my daughter! I love being small... at times!
I love it when I am surprised by a pattern. I was afraid I would end up doing something I didn't like because of the ruffles in this, but when picking carefully from the pattern pieces, and with your right choice of fabric, this became girly enough and pretty much satisfying for me. Having the girl's approval makes it even better. I believe this is the kind of dress every little girl loves. The blue fabric was in my stash. I made 2 dresses with it before, one for me and one for G. when she was only 1 year old. I can't believe there's still a piece of it left. The polka dots fabric was just a scrap, just enough for the pockets and to make the exact amount of bias that I needed. The small white flowers on black fabric, is actually a refashion from an old romper that was hanging in my piles for too long.
So, what about the boy?! His was a very quick project. I looked through my stash, and I had a women sized striped t-shirt. The stripes were thinner than the inspiration, but the model was much smaller too, so it's porpotional. I didn't use a pattern for this one. I just used one of his 9M shirts (he's 6m now) to trace and cut the armholes.
I kept the original hem, and only made a round shaped cut to turn it into a romper. I hemmed the seams of this cut and closed with metalic snaps (sewn to it). They were bad quality though and keep opening when my baby boy wears the romper. I will have to change it. Because I reused most of this shirt, and I kept the original neckline, I figured it'd be too wide for S. That was simple to solve though, I picked the neckline from another (white) shirt and sewn a patch inside, so it could cover the wide neckline and make it appropriate for my son. It turned out perfect. To match, I finished the armholes with bias made out of the same shirt.
For the five minute photoshoot, I layered his romper with a white long sleeve shirt and tights He was looking so cute, but he kept on crying all along. I believe I've got like one or two photos where he's not crying. I also thought the romper would be bigger on him, because I was planning this to be a spring/summer piece, but I am not sure it'll fit 'till then.