Snowflakes & Lace Series
I was so honoured to be asked by RaeAnna and Veronica to take part of their Snowflakes & Lace series. My hyper active brain started working, what to do, what to do?! My first thought was making something for myself, then something for my daughter, then something matchy for both... I just couldn't decide, I was so excited about it. Then I had a few things happening in between the time I knew about it and the day I should be done with my post, and I didn't think much about it.
As my days to work on it started to be less and less I had to make up my mind, and since there is Refashion Month going on, I thought I'd put both things together and do some selfish sewing, after all it's been a while since I last sewed for myself.
I did make an imaginary sketch of what I wanted to do and since I was lacking lace in my stash... - ok, maybe I wasn't, but for this time only I felt like go thrift shopping and I came home with 6 pieces and only spent 6€...- I bought this lace covered shirt for 1€ at a local charity shop. Then I went looking through my refashion clothes stash and found a 10/12 year size undershirt that was almost a perfect fit on me, wasn't it too short on the sleeves... did I ever mention I am a petit size?! hehe The undershirt was kept because I loved the striped purple fabric. I just couldn't let go of it.
So, yes! I decided an undershirt was perfect to make myself a new top. Only after I was finished I realised I made it for summer, but by then I'll be about to give birth, I don't think I will get to wear it that much this year, but who cares? There's always next year. Besides, I've saved the rest of the lace and maybe I can add some to the sides to get some extra room in a few weeks?!
How did I do it? Well, I started by ripping off the original sleeves from both tops, then pinned the lace sleeves to the striped shirt. After sewing them with a zig zag stitch I cut the sleeves to the lenght I wanted them and finished the seams. I thought the armholes looked too tight for me and decided to make a cut and get it wider. That was a mistake! They got too wide (3rd picture top, below).
I also had to do something about the collar. It was clearly from an undershirt, so I cut the elastic off, and from the edges of the original lace sleeves I cut at about less than 1", the idea was to add it all around the collar and finish with a bias tape. It didn't worked out as I had envisioned but it worked somehow. At least it looks more like a normal shirt collar now.
The top was a bit too short, especially because the baby bump is showing already, so I had to enlarge it. To get it done, I went looking in my bin of scraps and leftovers from other refashions, I wanted something white and knit that I could use in my shirt. I found half shirt which was perfect, the width was exactly the same from the one I was trying to fix. Bonus! I used a piece from it, to attach to the striped shirt. I should have put it on and mark right under my breast, but I didn't, so I wasn't very please after I finished and finally tried it on.
To finish off my top, I cut the bottom of the original lace shirt and added it to my new shirt, giving it a little extra lenght. I was very pleased when I finished and I love my new top. Too bad it's too cold right now to wear it inside.
Now the interesting part. If you want to be a lucky winner for these:
... make sure you enter the series giveaway!