2014-01-06

January refashion Month with Max California

When I thought about another edition for the Refashion Month, it was obvious to me that I had to include Max California in it again. I was happy that she was excited about it too. I can't tell how much I love her blog, most of all because of her creativiness. I am always surprised by her fabric choices and the little details she sometimes adds to her creations. 

--- 

Hey guys! It's Ari! I was here last year with this cute little bimaa sweater for my daughter Eddie (oh man she was so little!) and today I am here to show you my favourite skirt! I didn't think it would be so amazing when I made it, but everytime I wear it I get so many people talking about it. That makes me feel so good ^_^ It's not a particularly amazing skirt, but I think it's the fabric that gets the attention!
I went opshopping a while ago and found this awesome satin dressing gown that had my first comic book crush all over them. The Ghost who Walks, Kit Walker, THE PHANTOM! Oh man I was so so in love with him and would spend hours reading Phantom comics when I was a kid. So you can imagine that I may have made a little squeak when I saw the Phantom fabric of the dressing gown peeking at me from a rack.
I used the original hem of it, as well as the front pockets of the gown. I'm so clever I didn't take a before photo, but it was a basic satin men's dressing gown. I overlapped the centre front and stitched it shut, then cut the bottom of the gown so it was the length of the skirt I wanted. Then I constructed it basically like my first ever tutorial I ever wrote! Hah, the Underbust pinny (i was pregnant with Vinnie!) just without the straps! And without the bow, obviously.
Right now we are in the middle of a heatwave, so it is way too hot to be wearing it! I just want to show you that it's not hard to make something from something else, just find something you love and make it work! I had several Ughhhh what am I even doing? moments while sewing this (because sewing with satin makes me Hulk out), but in the end it all came good, and I am the only person on the planet with a Ghost who Walks Skirt! Swing by my blog to see more inspiration for turning things into other things! Check out my Recycling Clothes tag for some fun!

3 comments:

  1. Love the skirt Ari! I especially like that you kept those original pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt looks striking with the black top. I remember reading Phantom comics when I was a kid, many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I'd love to read it.
Leave your URL too, so I can visit you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

stay connected

Subscribe by Email