2013-07-15

|day 15| Refashion Month Guest: Marta from DoGuincho

When I found Marta from DoGuincho on a Project Run & Play post, I was very curious, after all she's from my country, and I don't know that many bloggers from here (that sew). I still remember the first post I read from her, and hers was one of those blogs I knew right away I wanted to follow. I love her work, and her phtography is quite impressive too. 

Hi! I’m Marta from doguincho and, like Magda, I live in Portugal.
I’m thrilled to be part of this great series as I love recycling clothes!
Actually my first sewing project was a shirtdress for my daughter Teresa. And I was so pleased with the result that, for the last years, I’ve sewn dresses (and here is a tutorial!), skirts, shorts, swimsuits, beach robes, costumes and purses all with fabric (and notions…) from old shirts, trousers, cushions or curtains
This time I’m making a summer top for Teresa from a white shirt that I used to love.


Teresa loved it too and here she is wearing her new top on a hot summer day!




The top’s bodice is made of the bottom part of my old shirt. I kept the side seams and the beautiful lace at the hem.
For the shoulder straps I’ve just cut in four the shirt neck cord. Simple, isn’t it?!
I had the sleeves left and I thought they were perfect to make the chest ruffle. But, as the fabric was not enough to make it in just one front piece and one back piece, I had to figure out a quite tricky way  to sew everything together… I ended up making the ruffle in four pieces: one for the front, one for the back, one for the left side and one for the right side. I wanted a nice finish for these seams so I went for french seams. Then I just top stitched these seams and aligned them with the shoulder straps.  This way you can’t even tell that this wasn’t my first option…
I think this will be a summer time favorite here at home. I hope you like it too!



And thank you Magda for this invitation!

5 comments:

  1. So.....I want one for myself....
    Great job! This top looks so light, comfy, and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! and I'm with Theresa, I want to do this for me! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you girls!
    What a great idea! This should an easy project to sew for us too, I think.
    I have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I'd love to read it.
Leave your URL too, so I can visit you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

stay connected

Subscribe by Email