Skip to main content

January Refashion Month with Michelle from Falafel & the Bee

Do you know those people you've never met in person but really think there's something so special about them? That's what happens to me when it comes to Michelle from Falafel & the Bee. I believe I met her through Project Run & Play too, and was amazed at how much love there's going in her woeks and her family. I love Michelle's style and I am sure you all will too. 

...

I am honored to be here today! Magda is all sorts of awesome, as you all know.
Once you start to refashion, it becomes second nature to look at a garment and see it's potential. I love that.
My husband and I go to the thrift store every week to look and see if anything pops out at us (especially if it is one of the $1.29 items)!. This past week, I was looking at the Men's XL shirts for something to replace my ratty (but oh so comfortable) 15 year old fleece sweatshirt that has become part of my daily uniform (much to my husband's chagrin). And this beauty winked at me.
refashionbefore
It had all the things I was looking for: Soft to the touch. V-neck. Raglan type sleeves. It even has a tiny zipper pocket on the sleeve, which I wasn't looking for, but I really do like.
As you can see, though, it was massive.
So I am going to take you on a short journey to make this baby fit me.
refashion7m
First, Lay out large shirt, with seams facing out.
refashion6m
Next, I
peeled off took off my well-fitting sweatshirt and placed it on top (matching the seams). I made sure to start at the top so that I could keep the pocket on the upper sleeve.
refashion5m
I cut the excess fabric off the large one, making sure to keep a nice seam allowance, and enough fabric for turning under the hems. I wanted my new shirt to fit slightly more snug than the old one, so I cut it fairly close.
refashion2m
I wanted both sides to be even, so I folded the shirt in half (I removed my original fleece shirt first), and then cut the excess off.
refashionm
Opened it back up, and then I pinned the seams down and sewed around the perimeter and hemmed the bottom and the sleeve cuffs.
refashionusem
I love having a new cozy fleece that I can layer under to stay warm. I hope it lasts the next 15 years.
refashionbackm
Thank you, Magda, for having me over! Happy Refashioning everyone!

Comments

  1. Thank you Magda. You made my heart smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a very clear tutorial. Your new fleece looks super comfy and inspires me to refashion one of my own.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to read it.
Leave your URL too, so I can visit you.

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekly Refashion Share #1 |FREE pattern & tutorial|

If you're looking for the giveaway, please click HERE

A couple of months ago I made these two onesies for my baby boy. You can read more about them by clicking each photo.
They were both refashions from t-shirts, and ever since I made them, I've been wanting to share a tutorial. But not only a tutorial, you can have a FREE pattern, the one I drafted for my own. If you are expecting a baby, or have someone close to you that is, this would make a great gift, so go ahead, grab the PATTERN, print it and let's start sewing. 
Note before you start: - Some pattern pieces need to be taped together. In order to do that, you have to match the number on the pattern and letters A to B. Example: piece 4A to piece 4B. Tape them matching the symbols on both pieces.  - I didn't realise it, but I've added two star pattern pieces, but just one is enough, of course. It is an optional add.  - All seams are 1/4" except for sleeves hem, which are 1" long.  - Just one more t…

Pocket Sling Tutorial

Back in September, I guest posted for Tasha over I Seam Stressed, while she was adjusting to her new life as mom of two. For that post, I've put up a tutorial on how to do your own pocket sling. Today's, I am bringing it home, since all we think about now is Christmas and all the handmade presents we have to make, i think this should be a good idea to gift a new mom or a pregnant relative/friend in your life. Enjoy!

Since my appearence here is due to Tasha's baby boy's birth, I thought I'd come up with something every mom should have. Especially when they are still newborns (even though I used mine until my little one was around one year old, then she just wanted to walk everywhere and we slowly left it aside). I am talking about a baby pocket sling, of course.


I prefer pocket slings over ring slings by far, it gives me a better sense of security, but that might be just me. And today I will share a tutorial on how to do your own.


So, the first thing you have to do is…

The Dreaming of Spring Blazer |FREE PDF Pattern| day 1 of the Sew along

EDITED: You have until the 30th of November to link your blazer to the flickr group to have a chance to win a free pattern for the Bubble Shorts pattern by DoGuincho. Read more about it here.

If you are new to my blog, you might not know that I have promised to share a pattern for the blazer I made my daughter when I competed in the Sew Off. If you were following already back then, well, I am sorry I kept you waiting for so long. If you haven't yet, you might want to check out the blazers my friend testers made. You'll love them, I'm so sure!

It was about time to give something back, since I've been getting so much from this wonderful sewing community, and keep up with my word. After all, I've always heard it's better late than never, right? And it's FREE so: please don't complain.

This pattern will fit a 18 months to 2 year old, but I believe it has space to grow - especially on the sleeves department. I guess it really depends on your child. Mine was…